Think of the neck as a walkie talkie, a two-way communicator, sending messages both physically and emotionally. What we need to survive, food, water and air are taken in and swallowed down, as is any positive or negative input from other people and the world that surrounds us. At the same time, emotions, thoughts and feelings are expressed outwardly through using our voice and lips. Because of this backwards forwards motion, the neck forms a bridge if you like between our thoughts and our feelings, between the mind and the heart space, as well as between the mind and the physical body as it sends signals to act or react.
It is at this junction point (the neck) that we can create a natural mind/body split, where one part of our personality becomes somewhat isolated from the other - the more energy put into one focus of your personality or nature the more lack there is in the other and this junction quickly can become out of balance.
This junction point when split can create a world of tension or even stiffness in the neck.
Some questions to ask yourself in relation to this physical issue that stems from a possible emotional issue you may be experiencing.
- Do you need to listen to your feelings a little more?
- Do you need to speak from your heart?
- Is there a constriction that you are feeling in life, your neck and you need to be released from?
- Are you up in your head and have a need to put less energy into thinking and more into physical exercise (the other half of this junction point)?
Ask yourself this:
- Do you feel like a stranger in your body? Does it feel unfamiliar and something you just drag around with you because you have to, not because you want to or love it?
- Do you feel your body as energetic, vibrant and purposeful in your life?
Another feature of the neck is it's range of motion allowing us to see from different angles and directions, embracing a much larger space than the one right in front of us. This implies an openness of mind and acceptance of other's views, not just our own. Stiffness or little motion indicates resistance, usually to other ways of thinking; it's as if you were wearing horse blinders (blinkers) that prevent you from seeing any other option/viewpoint other than the one right in front of you. If this is the case ask yourself these questions.
- Are you feeling stubborn and only looking at your own view point instead of taking others suggestions as a possibility?
- Is someone in your life asking to much of you and could be considered a "pain in the neck"?
- Are you feeling resistant or prejudiced toward someone?
- Is your attitude showing signs of becoming narrow-minded?
A stiff/sore neck may also indicate an inability to make a decision (again a junction point or cross road issue) literally not knowing which way to turn. Such stiffness limits the amount of communication and feeling passing between the mind and body. The neck contains your voice box, so it is intimately connected to the way in which you express yourself. If this area is blocked or stiff it creates a feeling of lack of expression from within or not knowing how to speak your truth outwardly.
- Is something or someone emotionally strangling you?
- Are you holding back your feelings?
- Are you afraid you may hurt someone's feelings or that your feelings are too strong to express?
- Is there something you need to forgive yourself or someone else for?
- Is your pride getting in the way?
The throat (Voice-box, Throat Chakra, Thymus) is the point where your soul enters and leaves your body. A blockage in the throat can cause issues of not wanting to stay in your physical body, which directly ties in with that disconnect of mind and body.
If you have stiffness in the neck or are experiencing soreness of some kind look at where in your life you are being inflexible or not willing to look at other possibilities. Just maybe you have your head on backwards steering at the past and judging yourself instead of seeing the big picture and how far you've come.
I hope that this insight into the emotional causes of a stiff/sore neck has sparked some aha moments for you, where you can take a look at what's happening for you emotionally in order for the physical symptom to disappear. Let me know in the comments below If this has helped you in someway and allowed you to release the tension you may be experiencing through the disconnect of mind and body.
With Love and Warm Blessings